View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #23
Metatron

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth?

Yes.

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you?

Goth to me means a diverse community of similar-minded people; similar tastes in music, fashion, humor, and mindsets.

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night?

I go naked. Does it really matter? Goths dress however they want to, it's not the fashion that matter. However, how they want to usually tends to be in dark colors because of our darker outlook on life.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?

Yes, but I'm not exactly sure what that message is.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?

I can't say it hasn't because that would be lie. In fact, I don't think any goth can say that. When you first discover what 'it' is about you that sets you aside from most people, you go through a period of time (mine was about 2 years) where you feel the need to learn more about yourself. First you learn what the term 'goth' means, and then you learn why you can be considered so, and then you learn about different people like yourself, and then you learn how to fix a run-on sentence.

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it?

I listen to anything that I like, and that's as general as I'm going to get. I really don't think you can rule out whole genres without hearing some of the different artists in each genre. I dislike a lot of the shit being produced today, but I enjoy everything from Opera to New Age to Death Metal to Old School Rap to World. My philosophy is that there is at least one song from every artist that I will like; whether it be lyrics or chord operations or the tune.

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I study religion and the occult, collect old things, read, paint, write, and touch myself at night.

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature?

Extremely. This is what defines 'real' goths from 'fake' goths. If you don't like the literature, the art, or the music. You're not goth. It's as simple as that.

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any?

Goths have a very developed sense of humor. They tend to look at society in a much different way, and they feel the need to express themselves through the arts.

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?

Absolutely. It bothers me that there are people that dress it because they think it's cool. Why? Because.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?

Of course. There's a difference in everyone when they're young and when they're older: maturity. An older goth still has an alternative edge to them, but they might not be as far out as a younger goth due to society's ability to accept them in the work force, etc.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?

I think it is already agreed that if you're gothic, you don't depend on the dress to label you as so, you depend on how you think. While fashion plays an important role in expressing yourself, not just for goths, it's not as important as the mindset. Anyone can label themselves as goth, and in doing so create an outer appearance, but what's on the inside that separates the real from the pseudo.