View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Versus

The average response time for police to a reported break in at my city is over 45 minutes.

Ask yourselves: If I was an armed man, and assuming that the residents of the home I just entered called the police, what would I be able to manage to do in 45 minutes and still have a reasonable chance to escape with?

It is not a fantasy of mine to shoot someone and save the day. It is a realistic precaution to own a firearm where I live in order to protect the life of myself as well as my family.

Granted, I do not own anything larger then a handgun. The reason being that I live in an urban enviroment, and carbine and rifle caliber ammunition are designed to travel longer distances then handguns, so they have a higher muzzle velocity. I do not feel comfortable in shooting at something within the confines of my home with a weapon that could potentially go through my target, the wall behind it, and come to a stop in my neighbor's daughter's chest.

However, if I lived in a farm in a rural area as well as had a similar average response time from my local police, you can fucking bet I will own a higher performance firearm. That is also not unreasonable. I've seen men doped up on drugs shrug off a 5.56 millimeter bullet from 50 meters away and the last thing I want to do is make assumptions about a person or people I know nothing about other then they are willing to break into my home without permission.

I sleep in the same room as military grade body armor as well as a full size 1911. But that's just me.

In the scenario I painted: With my training, taking less then 10 seconds to have my vitals organs in my body protected as well as being armed with 9 large caliber rounds that can knock someone on their ass ready without needing to take 3-5 seconds to reload I feel safe and secure.

It bothers me that this man, who mostly makes sense, thinks he can judge me or anyone else who owns a gun as being a fucking fanatic.

The second amendment simply says "The right to bare arms." It does not specify what kind, but the only thing I would need a .50 cal or Mk 19 for is military level targets that I will never be confronted with in my own home, so I can understand gun laws to an extent... but Bill Maher has no idea what he's talking about in that video.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote