Thread: So.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
It also makes it easier to voice racism and for racists to organize, such as with Stormfront. Or easier to threaten. For example, I don't know if you're familiar with Laci Green but she's this feminist who has said some transphobic/cissexist/racist/Islamophobic things just to name a few, and she got a death threat recently and a dox. That is scary by itself, but others point out that people of colour who blog about racism get death threats and doxxed all the fricken time, but most are being told "well if you don't support Laci now we won't support you when someone threatens your life."

The internet also makes it a lot easier to be an asshole and hurt someone from miles away.
This is true, but it also makes it so easy to befriend people across the globe. I can't tell you how much I've learned over the years on this forum. Surprisingly enough, I still talk to some of the people I first met here, almost a decade ago. I wasn't always as open-minded as I am, now. I spent a lot of time debating, discussing, messaging, questioning and clowning around with the people that were here and it really opened my eyes to the world around me. I am grateful for the times I was called out on bullshit and the arguments that made me think about my own views on things at the time.

Like Ashley, I feel optimistic about global communication.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote