View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #16
Loy

Existential Disorder-as somebody who knows a whole shitload of people in bands (a few of them being quite popular), I can (and will) speak for them on the issue of file-sharing-YOU happen to be a dipshit about it. Do you know how much bands make off record sales? Not very much. Usually, the band will make a half a penny off the sale of a $16 CD (unless they're on a smaller label. Then, dependant on the contract, the profits are distributed more fairly). This also goes for sales of songs via I-tunes and other "legitimate" file-sharing sites. See, most of the money goes to the record label and distributors (which is why smaller labels can put out cheaper CDs-less overhead from an artificially-neccessary distribution system). So if you're "stealing" music via file-sharing, the only peoiple you happen to be fucking over are record labels, NOT the bands (unless the band is on a smaller label. Because 9 times out of 10, those labels will actually post songs on their own websites, knowing that this is a quick and fairly inexpensive way to create a buzz for a band).

No, if you really support a band, go see them play live. THIS is where bands make the money they eat and pay rent with.

as for cool bands to check out-TV On The Radio (imagine a Motown influenced Joy Division) have been playing a whole lot at my bar lately. Same as Throbbing Gristle (the very first industrial band), Silver Apples (weird early electronic/industrial band which are drumbeats, throbbing pulsing "BEEP" noises, and out of tune vocals), the Cranes (the band Rasputina wishes they could be), Broadcast (the best electronic band in the world right now. A mixture of 60's British Chick Pop and early industrial/avant-garde), and The Walkmen (a cross between hipster-mod and early Cure with a dash of Glam-Pop thrown in).