Quote:
Originally Posted by allyssa View Post
heretic:

you are a babe!
and you have very elegant taste.
Thank you, Allyssa.

Quote:
does it bother you that goth has appropriated egyptian imagery
Actually, I appreciate it. There are numerous examples of African culture that pop up in the Gothic subculture. For example, I've seen Egyptian, Vodun (Voodoo), and Islamic Spanish (see: Al-Andalus) imagery in the Gothic subculture for years. I see it as the subculture taking an inclusive approach to a universal view of the human condition. The Victorian mourning clothing specific to Anglo-Saxon England, and the rock music-influenced fashion of the late 1970s, aren't the only way to express a Gothic sensibility.

Quote:
and does it bother you that their is an obsession with pale skin, when many consider it the ideal. I feel like the pale skin thing is more about looking dead than a racial ideal.
The pale skin thing goes hand in hand with the the Victorian thing. Having extra pale skin is how people from that time period are depicted in painting and early photographs. For those striving (consciously or unconsciously) to attain the Victorian look, it is understandable that they would put a premium on pale skin.

For those who are more concerned with the corpse or vampire bend to the subculture, I believe your observation is correct.

Personally, I subscribe to a more universal, philosophical approach to the subculture. I believe being a Goth is more than the clothes you wear and the music you listen to; it is a way of looking at the world and interpreting the human condition, one that transcends minor things like make-up. As a result, I have no issue with those who get wrapped up in that sort of thing; it is irrelevant to what I see as 'Gothic'.

Quote:
but I just wanted to see your opinion!
Not a problem; I'm happy to oblige.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote