View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #161
Acharis

Message too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The argument that "pepper spray is no big deal" is fucking absurd on its face, particularly when you provide video of armed forces personnel reacting horribly to it. This is one of the stupidest things I've had to read on this board.
/snip
What should the police have done?
They should have skipped the first 36 seconds of video, and walked up to the protesters as they did at :37, and taken them into custody. Pepper spraying the students was not required in any sense. It was an unnecessary infliction of pain, and any reasonable human being can see that.
It was not only not justifiable, it was an irresponsible escalation of the situation. I am glad to see that the students attending UC Davis had more self control than people that were issued weapons of varying degrees of lethality.
The use of force continuum is near universal guideline of what is considered to be appropriate responses to various levels of resistance. Contrary to fucking Dungeons and Dragons Lawful Stupid, there is more than an all or nothing response. The officers involved clearly violated it. The students were seated, many times with their hands clearly visible (several pulling their hoods in close). The use of pepper spray was gratuitous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Don't care about gas vs spray minutiae.
Expediency for the sake of convenience is a bullshit excuse to circumvent the continuum of force. If a single police officer was unable to apprehend a seated college student (pretty fucking sad) they could have managed it in pairs. The cool part here is that if the students then violently resisted, or even obstructed officers taking the first student or two out in cuffs, the police would have had much more justification and we wouldn't be fucking around about it as much in this thread.
The level of resistance was unchanged by the spray. They were seated with their heads lowered before the spray, they were seated with their heads lowered after it.
The use of spray clearly escalated the situation. Assholes like us are talking about it now, it's all over the goddamn place, the campus police chief is now suspended, two officers are on leave, and there are cries for the chancellors resignation. That shit wasn't happening before the spray. If they had done their jobs in a responsible manner, there wouldn't be such a public outrage.
I will wreck your uppercut with a spinning bird kick.
The last two pages was a shitty derail. I hope this is the end of it.
Yes, I’m also quite fond of Jonathon now. *brews an urn*
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote