View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #2973
Saya

So I tried reading The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, but eventually it just pissed me off too much. I was reading it because, confession, I really do love vampires, but it seems like most vampire books now are romance novels, and I was promised this wasn't. Well, its not, but its probably more misogynistic than Twilight, although its a lot more honest about being misogynistic. It takes place hundreds of years ago so I get that a lot of the male characters aren't feminists, but the way he describes women and writes them is really troubling too. Most of them are rraped, killed and murdered, and described as sexy and voluptuous. Even an 11 year old girl gets her naked body described in uncomfortable ways, is rraped and later murdered. The only two other prominent women who aren't evil witches are virgins who do fuck all. And one of them is impregnated by a spell a mage puts on her, and a werewolf falls in love with her but she views him more as a friend and falls in love with the vampire who is obsessed with her from the first time he sees her OH WAIT THIS IS LIKE TWILIGHT AFTER ALL ISNT IT.

My roommate is a huge Agatha Christie fan and keeps giving me books to read, so I'm reading Murder At The Vicarage until I'm over my vampire rage and I'll continue my search for a decent vampire book.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote