View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #70
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake Knights View Post
You might not feel forced. I'm not saying you should. But should people have EQUAL freedoms? If blacks are more likely to be poor and underpriviledged, why do you think that is? Blacks have roughly 30 organizations that exist specifically for the benefit of the black community not to include govt mandated affirmative action and they are STILL poor and underpriviledged (just like every single black community around the globe)? Let me guess, the evil white man be holden im down, right?
They've only had equal rights for not even fifty years. White people had over two hundred years to work the country in their favour. If your parents are poor, chances are you are going to be poor.

I'm Canadian, here we didn't have systematic oppression for black people as much as Americans, I think Halifax being an exception. I haven't heard of a black ghetto anywhere outside of Halifax, and I can't think of ever seeing a low income black community, generally most I've met were really well to do (doctors, professors, fellow students).

Aboriginals are a different story. Only in the late seventies did we stop throwing them into residential schools where they were marginalized and abused. Most aboriginal people my age are the children of residential school survivors. I know a Metis girl who's parents wouldn't tell her a thing about her heritage, because they were so afraid the same would happen to her, they wanted her to try and pass for white. How long does it take to heal from that kind of trauma on a collective scale? I don't think fifty years will see the end of it, thirty years seen to have done fuck all.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote