View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #99
Saya

Honestly all they're getting wrong is that they either write them devoid of personality, or they assume women are alien creatures. I said in another thread that I think Tarantino would actually be good to write a WW movie, and to justify that, I think he writes female characters fantastically well. He's not totally gender blind, but he knows women are actually human beings who aren't very different from men at all.

I also think Batwoman's Elegy is a really good example of this. Written by men, Batwoman is a young rich lesbian kicked out of the army for being gay and trying to figure out what she's going to do with her life, now that she can't serve in the army like her parents did. You think there's not a whole lot there the writers can relate to, but they did really well. She's probably the only gothy superhero right now (without going overboard with it), very tough, and human without being overly dramatic and whiny.

Its also fun running the Bechdel test. To pass, they have to have at least two female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man. Its amazing how many fail even at that.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote