View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
hypnojoo

alan moore - top 3?

heh i never really got into promethea either... tried an issue but it was just too much for my brain (but i do intend to come back to it someday cos i'm sure, i'm really sure, i SHOULD like it... hehe). i don't really like league either (based on the first two tpbs), though honestly i'm not sure why. ah, maybe it's just a bit too steampunk, i dunno.

but basically everything else he's ever written is (i think) pure gold. i reckon he has an amazing ability to use characters/events to create a metaphor that is very simple but with an incredible amount of poignancy/heart - and then to exploit/innovate his narrative structure to the max in telling it.

from hell is (for me) one of the most accomplished histories/melodramas ever written; voice of the fire was a fantastically impressive debut novel (i think the structure of it is what makes it), and i thought lost girls was one of the best things he's written too - as well as utterly beautiful (good work melinda gebbie!), and the wartime setting was perfect.

heh, that's an odd top 3, and not the ones i thought i'd choose actually. u?

oh, i'm REALLY looking forward to jerusalem...
hypnojoo is offline   Reply With Quote