View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I'm interested in the books, but the constant nudity and from what I'm told, an unecessary **** scene that was consensual in the book makes it sound like its not my cup of tea.
I think I know the scene you mean, and I actually thought it was an improvement on the book version, which basically treated the scene in question as **** fantasy turned sexy. I felt that the series depicted it far more realistically: this is a girl who's basically been sold into sex slavery. I actually found it kind of offensive, the way that the book afforded the consolatory bullshit of "But it turns out okay on the wedding night, because Mr. Buy-A-Bride isn't really that bad of a guy deep down!!" It pretty much turned into "They learn to love it", whereas I felt that the series was more into locating her eventual sexual prowess as a matter of survival, rather than simple pleasure in being dominated.

I'm with you on the constant nudity, though. Totes not necessary; the books were all over the repressed sexuality of medieval culture, and its unpleasant classist manifestations in how ****** a peasant is TOTALLY NOT THE SAME as ****** women of gentle birth and breeding. That's not really seen in the sea of nipples that is the series; it becomes hard to distinguish one from the other.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote