View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #196
AshleyO

I just went to reddit. There's a huge occupywallstreet subreddit there with 30,000 subscribers. I just left this:

What is OWS doing about teaching people about white, male, straight, religious, non-disabled privilege?

Malcom X said that we can't have capitalism without racism. I think that is true. I also think we can not have capitalism without sexism or any other exercise of privilege in a negative manner.

Is there anything in Occupy that is reaching out and opening up this dialogue?

Clearly it's important. I'm not interested in people trying to prove that they don't have certain kinds of privilege or inventing privilege on those that are oppressed to balance it out. I want to know if the most socially privileged of the movement is being taught and illuminated about their privilege so as to avoid alienating would-be comrades.

Thanks for your time, guys.

Is this a good way to start trying to reach out to them? Is that on message? I will clarify if there needs to be any amendments.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote