Thread: Rant Thread II
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #5472
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Well keep in mind, a crazy Alcoholic probably WOULD start quaffing mouthwash if he was jonesing enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Yes. But.. vanilla extract?!
Korinna, I once lived in a low-rent boarding house where I paid for a room by the week. I watched a guy convulse on the floor because his only source of income was food stamps, and he was so desperate to get his alcohol buzz on that he bought aftershave/cologne with his food stamps and drank it. The paramedics came and said there was nothing they could do for him; I watched him die. So, yeah, an extreme alcoholic would get their buzz on from abusing Nyquil (I still wonder why he didn't do that instead?), mouthwash or vanilla extract. And the rules you're working under are made to cover the worst case scenario, no doubt.

Also, the energy drink, cigarette and coffee overloading did always seem hypocritical to me too, but many people who work in those programs are products of those programs. And while they might kick the original drug of choice, most replace it with some "acceptable", legal, crutch-like stimulant.

And, you probably already know this, but they do make alcohol-free types of mouthwash. Is your particular program against using those too?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote