View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #88
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
As for you saying it’s not integral for America to be America, that it was only added around the middle of the last century; it is true it was only added then, but prior to that it was an unstated truth, spoken very loud by our first president, which was not challenged until FDR’s time, but that’s a whole ‘nother ball of wax.

So why argue about term limitations, when the idea was clearly integral, and meaningful, to the Founding Fathers? Well, I can see the reason to argue; discussions are the proofing grounds for validity, but you can not balance power in a quasi-democracy without term limitations restricting the amount of power an elected official accumulates.
Well, it would depend how integral, the founding fathers were also insistent that the Constitution would change over time to adapt to modern society. I would also argue that you can have balanced power without the 22nd, really, why not?, if one president is clearly more popular than another (in a democracy, not cheerocracy way) and has done better for America, why not?, when a viable alternative happens, they'll get elected if they can offer better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Which is why we have term limitations, and why I respect President Washington’s decision, or declaration, on the matter when asked to run for a third term in 1796. It takes a fortification of will, an extreme love of the people, and extreme restraint to decline the power invested by the people…and instead, chose for the greater good of the people.

Now if (Peter) you are asking we juxtapose (for a moment) Washington and Bush, and decide who had the right(er) idea on term limitations...ah think I’ll have to go with the President who did the most for this country.
But again, it depends on the validity of the 22nd at a particular time, afterall, there's good reason the Constitution can be altered at the same time it's supposed to be being upheld.

Not sure I think comparing government to parental .. ness is apt though, there's too many big differences to be a good comparison.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote