View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I don't really like Raelians either (I can't really put my finger on it though, I'm not too well educated about them). But they are atheists, very prolific atheists, just as much as you are. All atheists are, are people who do not believe in god. It doesn't mean that they don't have a religion. Just because there's a stereotype doesn't mean we have to adhere to a stereotype at all costs whenever we discuss it.
When the average human being talks about atheists, they tend to mean people who lack positive belief in gods & usually the supernatural. If you're talking about the new atheist movement or the secularist movement, "atheist" tends to mean someone who at Least professes to have no positive supernatural beliefs whatsoever.

Raelians have a positive belief that a race of Aliens who were confused for Judeo-Christian biblical deities created the human race via cloning & contacted some dude in 1973 and told him that: 'oh yeah - you should probably stop having war and gambling & stuff and sleep with some super-bangin' chicks so the Elohime can come back to earth & take us with them into the stars. Also: totally take a swastika and join it with the star of David as your symbol - it's okay, no one will be offended - you're totally taking it back!"

...So, you can see why I might consider calling them a representative example of atheism in the context of this conversation to be AT BEST senselessly pedantic, bordering on insane troll logic.

They may not believe in a diety but Raelians aren't "atheists" like I'm an atheist - they're Scientologists without the golden 747's and atom bombs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote