View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #84
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Now I’ll disagree with Loy on morals and ethics being interchangeable. I believe there is a difference, albeit slight, in the application of either. I see morals belonging to the subclass of human, personable interaction, and ethics belonging to the commerce of industry. Two different guidelines, though sharing similar integrities, but not always similar in design. To illustrate this point, well say it’s morally reprehensible for someone to kill someone else just for the hell of it, but it’s perfectly fine to fire someone, which will kill that someone financially, just for the hell of it. We can even say the laws that punish someone killing someone else just for the hell of it are much stiffer, the investigation much more rigorous, than the laws to investigate unwarranted job termination.

One is steeped in morals, one in ethics, they are both similar, but each separate.
Run-on sentence time! Ok, I had to read your example twice to get what you were saying, because I'm a dumbass, and that seems like it could be right, but I don't think you can completely separate the two like that, at least not for your example. Firing someone for no reason when you know they will have a bitchass time surviving after that, well, I think it's not just unethical, but also immoral. I wish I remembered more from my ethics class last year... Damn.

Quote:
When a small majority determines the greater good for everyone else, then that’s tyranny.
Did you mean a small minority? Because otherwise that's not tyranny, that's a typical result of a representative democracy. Unless you want to argue that the US is a tyranny (plus all those other democratic countries that are utterly unimportant to me because America is all that counts).

Quote:
You’re only right when you can convince most everyone else that you’re right, and when you can’t you’re wrong.
So you're a total moral relativist? Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing, but really? I want to know if I read this last part wrong.

Quote:
Sternn, yes your morals change. They are defined, refined, and motivated by those around you. In nearly two years of posting you have yet to show us your naked cock. Now you might have been dying to show us your cock that entire time, maybe you were chomping at the bit to show us wee willy winky, but the fact is something stopped you.
Um, I don't think I want to know your thought process in this...

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote