View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #67
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
demonista speaks of the original batman movie, circa 1964. it was during this scene we learned of batman's anti-shark repellent.

I was well aware of that. Nowhere else (except maybe in the originating campy TV series ) in the entire Batman mythos was anti-shark repellent mentioned.

I loved that show when it first was on (I was 8 when it debuted) ... mostly for the villains. I mean, come on! They had Victor Bouno as King Tut, Cesar Romero as the Joker, Burgess Meredith as the Penguin, Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, Julie Newmar as my favorite of the actresses who played catwoman and Vincent Price (!) as Egghead.

Interesting Trivia from the Wikipedia article referenced above:

* Two-Face was considered too gruesome a character and so never appeared on the show. However his inclusion was considered for a while and apparently Clint Eastwood was considered for the role during this period.

* Dr. Cassandra (played by Ida Lupino) used several weapons in her attempts to defeat Batman - such as special vanishing pills that made her invisible, and which allowed her to spring several of Gotham City's arch-criminals from the Gotham State Penitentiary as part of her crime wave. One of them was called the "Alvino ray-gun" (which she used at Spiffany's Jewelry Store to "flatten" Batman, Robin and Batgirl), after first getting browbeaten by G. David Schine, the shop's proprietor. In original drafts of the script, the weapon was known as the "Ronald Ray-gun".

* Lesley Gore , who plays "Pussycat" (one of Catwoman's henchwomen) , was a popular singer of the day with hits such as "It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To".

* Several cast members recorded records tied in to the series. Adam West released a single titled "Miranda", a country-tinged pop song that he actually performed in costume during live appearances in the 1960s. Frank Gorshin released a song titled "The Riddler" which was composed and arranged by Mel Torme. The track captures Gorshin's insane portrayal perfectly. Burgess Meredith recorded a spoken word single called "The Escape" backed with "The Capture", which was The Penguin narrating his recent crime spree to a jazz beat.

"Tune in tomorrow — same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!"

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick

Last edited by Ben Lahnger; 03-12-2006 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Holy spelling slip-ups, Batman!
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote