View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Ben Lahnger

Sternn, that's ridiculous. People died during that invasion. You can debate what might have happened to those children had they been left behind (an exercise I would suggest is futile as we cannot know), but there's no debating the fact that those 219 children LIVED. And Betty Tisdale was there, while you were not. Unless you are questioning her motivations, which I think would be spectacularly stupid, I think it's fair to trust her judgment (and the judgment of the South Vietnamese government that decided it was a good idea for her to take those orphans.) Actually, you were questioning her motivation - suggesting that she was "only" doing it because she thought her country was somehow superior. You actually think she didn't care about those kids ... that she was just instituting a propaganda campaign?

And asking "are they really better off being taken from their country and put in America by an American who is doing it only because they think their country is somehow superior" suggests that adopting a foreign baby is a selfish and harmful act. That is also ridiculous ... and a bit of reverse racism. I saw nothing in that article that supports that ... except the fact that when Betty first got involved with the Orphanage the babies were being kept in very poor conditions, which suggests that America WAS a superior place to raise the children. The idea of moving the children to the U.S. only occurred to Betty after the impending arrival of the North Vietnamese appeared to be a threat to their well-being ... she was first involved for some time just trying to improve the conditions at the orphanage.

Your continual anti-American bias does not always serve you well. You are misguided in this opinion. I've not heard any of those 219 orphans who wish they had been left behind.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote