View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
Reject_Bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
You know, if y'all are sick of the negative stereotype of the gothy culture, wouldn't you like the recent focus on the subculture?
I am and was aware of the negative image being Goth presents to some people.

In my opinion,people judge you immediately for what you look like/are wearing,and anything outside the "norm" of what people expect is considered weird or freakish. It's all about stereotyping people expressly for what is covering their bodies.

Say you notice a couple of guys(Or gals)that have longer then normal hair,scruffy clothes or Tye-dyed shirts.Your mind instantly classifies those people as stoners,drug addicts,or slackers. It's like assuming everyone that wears expensive sports apparel and shoes is a drug dealer.

So when the nice upstanding suburban people see someone decked out in black,studs,and chains...an alarm goes off in their mind screaming:"Alert! Satanist! Devil Worshipper!"

And then they think about school shootings and rock music...and how "It's all connected". They naturally link black with evil,and evil brings bad things. What it boils down to is society is just too quick to stereotype and lump everyone who fits a certain profile into the bad category.

-[Side-note to myself:writing this got me thinking about what people have been telling me.Not to judge and assume ALL people act and are like a couple of bad ones(Just because something bad happened to you,that doesn't mean EVERYONE is like that]