View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
Loy

On one hand Binkie, I'd like to agree with you. Actually, I do. (no it's not a first). The problem is that whilst most people CLAIM they want better movies to be made, they don't actually SEE the better movies. (as I pointed out with my "Hills Have Eyes" review, how many "Tim Burton is a genius" pop up here every few months?). Whilst we can complain that the industry needs to clean up a bit, I say it won't unless audiences are going to demand better films (or if the studio system falls again....hell, look what came out during the 70's. Remember-"Taxi Driver" was a major studio film!)

As for finding better films.....OK, I have it easier than most people here (I live in Seattle, home of SIFF and Scarecrow Video), but as I said a few months ago, I was asked to put together a "1,000 films you must see before you die" list. Now, I'll admit that my tastes are a bit more wide ranging and....ummm....offbeat, but I figured that A-I can do it better than anybody else here, and B-I already am doing it. So when the list goes up, I'll try to include distribution info for everybody.....now everybody else can enjoy the wonders of Fassbinder, Fred Olen Ray, and Youseff Chahine, just like me!