View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
...religious
I think I get you: like the televangelists on television siphoning people's money? That disgusts me, and was predicted by Jesus, that "there will be those who come in my name but are slavering wolves".

I do not know what to think about the virgin birth, but I do know what I think about angels proclaiming to Mary of her impending motherhood: there are dreams that seem very real to us, I think most of us have experienced dreams where we feel as if it is real until we awake. I personally have experienced a dream shortly after a friend at work committed suicide, where I was at my desk, and he called me, and the phone caller ID had his name on it, and I asked him "where are you? Where are you calling from?" and he simply laughed. Very real feeling and disturbing. Later I psychoanalyzed the dream as my friend "having the last laugh".

The main thing for those who decide to follow Jesus (I think this is where I answer your question about the metaphysical), is that believing in the deity of Jesus is important for the power of Jesus to work in one's life, otherwise it becomes difficult to follow His life as a template (having Jesus "live" through oneself) if one only believes "He was just a good man".

Some followers must be "fed milk" (as the apostle Paul writes) and need the metaphysical, and others (I like to think that I fall into this category) can be fed "the solid food" (again as Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 3:2:
"I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able).

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote