View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
Saya

I also think goths might not necessarily be into the finer things (oh the cheap crap I used to have in an effort to feel refined, plus there's still a good portion who shop thrift and DIY) while pop music can definitely veer towards having ALL THE REFINED THINGS, but I think the reasoning is better? Like rappers who show off excess may do so in an effort to show that they've, against the odds, beaten a racist economic system, in a way that feels super hollow at best when white people who grew up middle class or suburban or rich do it. I'm sure when Justin Bieber wears a gold chain and grillz while complaining about people who smell "ethnic" doesn't really get the reasoning behind it all. So it depends on who's doing it and the reasons behind it too.

But yeah, from working in a craft store and a thrift store I can say there's still lots of people who love DIY and second hand clothes! In fact the popularity of thrift shopping in later years have driven up the prices. The store I work at has had a rise in cost of 20% over the last eight years.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote