View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #56
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceFearne View Post
As far as slavish consumerism goes, I feel like that's basically shared across just about every subculture. The difference between goth and pop is in WHAT you buy, not IF you buy.
That's not exactly what I meant but what I meant was that pop culture makes no bones about what they buy. I've yet to see a rabid eminem fan or whathaveyou say they're glad their hat came from fair trade and I've yet to EVER see them have stuff hand made unless their grandmothers are seamstresses or whatever. Basically, they don't really pretend to care about consumerism. However, they will be mildly politically active, paying lipservice to struggles such as equality between the genders, racism, and queer rights. Okay, racism not so much unless you prompt them about it.

Quote:
And I'm fine with that, really. It makes me happy to get a new skull scarf in the mail, or to buy a new pair of stompy boots. That doesn't automatically mean I quit reading or appreciating classical music. But goth still at least pretends to be about the "finer things" in life, where pop doesn't give a shit about elegance or good wine.
That is patently untrue. I'll have you know when I was doing the deathrock thing, there was NOTHING fine or classy about my lifestyle. It was fairly hedonistic, vain, and pretty damned friendly to boot. But that whole idea that goth is about deeper things. Nah, homie.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote