View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #59
Alexian

I have dabbled in DIY. My skills are not adequate enough IMO, though. I go to thrift stores from time to time. I also have some custom made clothing. I guess that goes against the traditional DIY ethic, though.

Although I have some Deathrock style clothes, most of my clothes consist of "casual" Gothic, casual, some Neo-Victorian, and some Baroque style clothes.

I have read comments on this board a few years ago, and from what I understand, Victorian and Steampunk style clothes are generally looked down upon. I can see why people can argue this case--part of the argument being that Victoriana, Steampunk, and other aristocratic styled fashions basically go against those that are well versed in history (the aristocracy has been proven by history to be oppressive), as well as the original Punk DIY ethics of the Goth subculture that is generally vehemently opposed to fashion.

For those that have to justify wearing Victorian styles and the like, I can see that there is a problem. However, I don't think it's wrong for someone to wear Victorian styled clothes, as long as the clothes are made with personalized, creative touches as opposed to being a carbon copy of an aristocratic style (ie. adding custom embellishments and such and making it unique as opposed to copying). I don't see fanciness/elegance and Goth as being mutually exclusive of one another.

Basically, I don't see a certain style in and of itself as being inherently bad.
Alexian is offline   Reply With Quote