Thread: Maoism
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
FistsofFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
When I consider that China is now enjoying a period where vast numbers of its population are seeing a rise in their standard of living, and that this is happening by way of capitalism (albeit a hybrid communist rule/capitalist economy) in the same way the United States created a large middle class in the majority of its population, then I can't dismiss the observation that capitalism has been more effective in a shorter period of time than communism, in terms of improving the standard of living for the greatest number.

Am I misinterpreting something here? Seems pretty clear. Of course there are abuses and defects in both systems but it seems the better praxis has been capitalism.
Yes, the farm collectives proved to be ineffective and once China switched to manufacturing textiles for export things started to turn around.

The question I have for Alan is this: Has modern China betrayed the ideas of the founders? The country is repressive politically but there are free markets, with heavy investment abroad and international exchange. Is that the communist way to you? The communist way is basically the concept of central economic planning....so yes China is still communist. And besides no country can survive being cut off from the world economic system of trade and import/export, currency values and loans.

And there are still classes, some would say the class divide has grown bigger because while the cities are industrialized the country is still left without modern infrastructure.
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote