Thread: Nail Polish
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
honeythorn

I don't have preferred brands, but I do wear a variety of colours from silver white to black, deep red, turqiouse, even a bright red glitter from Barry M which makes your nails look like Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz.

I also do my own nail art too. I took a course in it and although we worked on loose false nails and partnered to do eachother's nails, I'd already been doing my own for a few years prior to that so I've become reasonably good at doing patterns on my nails.

Here's a few little tips I use often :

A short length of Cotton thread dipped in the colour of choice and then carefully dragged across/up the nail is a good way to get straight lines and pinstripes. The amount of cotton sticking out between your fingers as you hold it should be about half an inch.

A small paper embosser ( with a ball end ) or a dressmakers pin ( the round head end ) can be used to make flowers by dipping into the polish and dotted onto the nail. One dot in the middle and then dots around the edges in a different colour for the petals.

A very fine thin artists paintbrish, the thinnest you can get, is good for thin fine swirls but you do need to practice getting a steady hand for those. Plus you need to clean the brush in a little white spirit or strong nail polish remover to keep it from going hard with any remains of polish. And keep a rag or bit of tissue and a small bottle of remover handy when doing your designs, to clean the brush between uses if you need to change colour.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote