View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #174
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I've done worse things than that! I wish there was a privilege confessional box sometimes. "Forgive me father, for I have oppressed."
Same here, I've even done it on gnet *shame*

You know what guys, I'm feeling pretty damn chill myself. Don't really have the energy to go back and respond to some previous points but V pretty much said most of what I would have said so I don't really need to.

AO have you ever looked into a White Ribbon Campaign? I don't know if there is an active one near you, they started in Canada, have spread to the UK, and are starting to crop up in the US but they are an amazing way to use male privilege to end violence against women, a cause that is greatly lacking in male involvement. They pledge to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women and girls (taken from their website, emphasis mine). I worked with a local campaign, it was small, only about five core members and at any given point maybe five or six additional guys but they would come out whenever the group I was with had any events or whatever to raise awareness, sometimes we would only have a single one of their members, especially when we went to local schools but they were absolutely amazing to work with and I really saw a huge difference being made by this handful of guys, after all they could get through to people who I couldn't and people who could not identify with me and therefor my message didn't resonate to them were able to see someone there who they could identify with and that really helped them see that it wasn't just a woman's issue, it is a cause that everyone can and should care about.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote