Thread: Supernatural
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #46
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I think the plotting of some of these stories rivals Buffy in quality ... but I'm with you on being of the opinion you have to make some allowances in consideration of the target audience. And the brothers never really talk to each other about their relationship or their feelings ... and that is frustrating.
You know, I wouldn’t have problem with that if they didn’t feel compelled to bring their feelings up every five minutes without ever getting to the heart of the matter. Practically every episode I’ve seen contains one or more of the following lines: “Are you okay?”; “You can’t avoid this”; “No, you are not fine”; “We need to talk about this”; only none of these staple lines ever lead anywhere significant. It’s lightweight therapy culture at its most boring. I kind of feel like it’d be an improvement if they just left the emotional angle out completely and concentrated on plot, with plenty of humor and darkness that isn’t centered around the underdeveloped and pointless angst of the two brothers; the constant circling around sentimental bro-mance shit is annoying when genuinely moving scenes are pretty much non-existent. I really dislike the compulsion in modern popular entertainment to throw in token winsome shit that the writer has no intention of taking anyplace interesting. Joss Whedon’s approach was much more effective: keep it light-ish most of the time, then kick ‘em in the balls once or twice per series. (Although of course, the superior characterization also helped when it came to giving a fuck.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I'm glad to hear you say that, because I have almost the exact opinion you do of Buffy. And Angel of course is of the same universe. Interesting point about Dr. Who ... there's a show we make a lot of allowances for, don't we. How many episodes can we spend enchanted by a plot that largely involves our heroes running away from or running after the bad guys in cheap costumes for 20-30 minutes of the 40-some minute episode on what usually are pretty cheap sets. I think of Dr. Who as "the chase of the week", and yet I like it very much. Why am I so willing to suspend my critical mind for this show when I judge others so harshly? I don't know.
You have a point there, but I know why I excuse it. It's because at its best, Dr. Who has the winning triad of humor, darkness, and heart. There are enough awesome episodes (mostly written by Steven Moffat before he inexplicably fucked it up the ass in the most recent series, IMO) to excuse piles of crap like Daleks in Manhattan and Love & Monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Nobody talks shit about Buffy, I will wreck your ass.
Dude, have your inner 14 yr old girl chill - I'm in a frail state here. I just said some very complimentary things about someting that isn't really my cup of tea, you KNOW how much that reasonable shit hurts me.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote