View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #50
CptSternn

You sure are going out of your way to protect a man who murdered 17 innocent women and children.

I agree we might be able to define some of the causes, but even if we do attribute some of his actions to his personal life experiences it does not excuse his behaviour, as you are ferociously trying to do with your responses.

Child molesters nine times out of ten were abused themselves. Kids who grow up to be involved in various types of criminality usually come from homes where the same sort of criminality was happening. It doesn't excuse their behaviour.

Per your comments about him going into infantry, I would counter that if he was on the run from the law and looking to get into the military as fast as possible he signed up and took whatever position was open and could get him to boot camp the fastest. You know as well as I do that with the delayed entry programme they put off some of the more popular jobs for up to two years, yet let people who want to join and go into infantry ship out in a matter of weeks if not days.

The whole thing stinks due to his criminal past. As I said previously, maybe he did overnight become patriotic, but the fact he was able to join and get away from paying his criminal restitution and avoid jail at the same time must have played some part in his decision, just as you claim his other life experiences must have played some part in his decision to murder all those people.

You can't discount some of his motives in one case and then claim the exact same type of motivation was the primary factor in another.

I am willing to agree maybe patriotism did play a part, but you cannot discount that fact his criminal issues also played a part. What we really are disagreeing on is how much each factor played into his decisions.

Do you think he should simply be able to walk away after killing so many innocent people because he was suffering from a mental condition?

Are all veterans of wars then no longer liable for their own actions? Can they quite literally, get away with murder and blame it on the fact they went to war? Does this work for troops of the opposing army if say some Afghanis or Iraqis come to America and then go house to house killing people? Should they as well get a free pass and we just let them walk? Do you think the American public would allow that?

Much like people in America who kill, their lawyers claim they had abusive childhoods, lived in rough neighborhoods, have lived a hard live in general, does that excuse their behaviour? Not in American courts. Not in any courts around the world actually. Explaining behaviour and justifying it are two separate issues you seem to be conflating.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote