View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mask
About how a genre of music can evolve over years. We were talking about Emo, which I believe died in the 90’s but LadyStardust thought music might evolve and change.

I think bands that get branded as Emo like My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the disco, and fall out boy are just pop bands that have nothing to do with the genre. It’s like the whole Marilyn Manson and Goth thing.
Well, once a music style is something the major labels are selling wholesale, I don't think it has much to do with the original style of music. Remember the pop punk explosion a few years back, with bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, etc? That clearly had nothing to do with the actual punk scene. It's probably the same for these new faux-emo bands. I used to listen to an emo show on college radio years before it got big, and those bands sounded little to nothing like MCR, Panic at the Disco, and Fall out Boy. Emo has never been my thing, but I recognize the difference between real emo and the pop version of it.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote