View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 AM   #70
CptSternn

E_E - I feel you there. Tis the point I was making. I used to HATE filing tax returns.

TS - Yes we pay taxes here, but its not like the states because 100% of the taxes are taken from the employer. It's like this - when you get a job you give them your taxid (which is connected to your PPSM, like an Irish Social Security #). Then the employer knows everythign about you - if you have kids, etc. They also know how much you pay in taxes. They then work out your rate of pay and how much it will cost THEM to employ you, and let you know your salary. Most companies figure this out prior to telling you. For example, if you make €10 an hour, you make €10 an hour on your cheque - you porbably are making like €13 an hour but the employer pays that to tax, so you never see it or even really know about it and you sure as hell never have to see it or fill out any forms on it.

If you get a job here and they say you make €1,200 a week, your check will be €1,200 a week and the taxes will be presorted by the company who pays you, you never see or miss it.

Thats it - short and simple - never have to file a return and they government only asks you update your info if you get married, buy a house, or have kids. Thats about it.

Slán
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote