Thread: Maoism
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #32
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
When I consider that China is now enjoying a period where vast numbers of its population are seeing a rise in their standard of living, and that this is happening by way of capitalism (albeit a hybrid communist rule/capitalist economy) in the same way the United States created a large middle class in the majority of its population, then I can't dismiss the observation that capitalism has been more effective in a shorter period of time than communism, in terms of improving the standard of living for the greatest number.

Am I misinterpreting something here? Seems pretty clear. Of course there are abuses and defects in both systems but it seems the better praxis has been capitalism.
There is an emerging middle class, but but the gap between rich and poor is expanding. In factories in special economic zones, workers are commingling suicide, being thrown out in the street if they get injured, have their pay checks withheld, all so we can get cheap crap at Wal-Mart. In those zones its the picture of what is wrong with capitalism. The revolution is betrayed and there is no equality. Also, before the revolution the KMT sold the Chinese out to the Japanese to make money. Isn't that pure capitalism?

I finished the Dispossessed last night and it gave me a lot to think about. What right do I have to eat like a pig when so many starve? Does my gluttony mean that capitalism works, that its best that I stuff myself while others die for my material wealth? I'd rather not have a car and live in a dorm than horde wealth and let others go without.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote