View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #93
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinicRite
For an American citizen to hate the United States government would be to hate the citizens of the United States because our government was formed on the notion that it is for the people, by the people, and of the people.
two, separate entities. if voting records for all political positions continually and habitually reflected 100 % of the country, there might be some validity to that statement - but as things stand now, voting percentages are low and as such, many politicians retain their offices by default. such a situation breeds overconfidence in one's position and as such, an eventual abuse of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinicrite
But for one to hate the politicians which have corrupted and misused our people's government would be the proper place for your hate to be directed towards.
see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinicrite
Because, without the American people there would be no government but the politicians would still be there. Wouldn't you agree?-Axl
2 things here:

1.) the term "the american people" puts a bee in my bonnett, to quote disfunction. we are american citizens, all of us, including the politicians who use that term and the reporters as well. using a term such as that puts - pay attention to this - the rest of america at a distance, thusly verbally elevating anyone who utters it above everyone else, in my opinion. saying "we, as americans" is more accurate.

2.) the question was phrased awkwardly, but i believe what you're saying is - the people who would have been voted in as politicians would still be there, just not as politicians? is that right?

anwway, bottom line is - if there was never a government established to bring cohesion to the states, this country would have been acquired by another nation or nations long ago, piece-by-piece, and there would be no america today.