View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
Versus

My polite courtesy of silence has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
It's the same cycle that has been going on since Vietnam. The US government does not care about the troops. When they are no longer on the battlefield, the quality of care they receive drops to almost nil.

Same with the military. While on the battlefield they get the best medical care and access to the best resources money can buy. Once thats over, they don't want to hear from you, and God forbid you don't have a family to claim your remains as they will just chuck you in a landfill and move on.
No. Service members, as well as there families, are offered numerous services before, during, and after combat or other service, such as mental health programs, sexual assault programs, domestic violence prevention and family counseling, substance abuse programs, guidance and tuition assistance with both military and civilian education, as well as an extensive equal opportunity program. There's even a program that provides assistance with something as fucking stupid as smoking.

All of these are completely free to service members.

As well as medical assistance, I'll share some personal insight that you would otherwise never see.

After having only been in the military for 4 years, I have had laser eye surgery, extensive dental work, several types of medication prescribed to me, and been offered disability benefits when I get out.

While I was married, my wife had several problems with mental health, to include multiple suicide attempts. She had been hospitalized several times for it, and even received months of counseling with a therapist and psychologist. My chain of command even allowed me to stay in a barracks room when I felt that I could not safely live with her. She also had her bladder removed. This was all completely free.

The man on the right of this picture was my platoon sergeant when I came to Afghanistan. After a bullet touched his brain and induced a stroke back in july, he went into a coma for 3 weeks. When he woke up, he had lost 90% of his vision, and could only manage to give the doctors a thumbs up. Now he is able to speak simple words, and is moving around again on his own.

The man on the left is the one that I mentioned died in that same firefight.

Sternn, after I just told you everything I and my wife were provided because I am a service member with only a little over 4 years, do you honestly think that the ones who really need help, like those two friends of mine, get anything less?

Quote:
Then there also is the issue with the training and how they do it in America. Compared to military training elsewhere in the world, it still stands alone. There is a lot less breaking down of individuals in the European military, less situations where the person is made to feel belittled. The chain of command still exists, but without the same stranglehold on the power structure. This method of training will inevitably lead to criminal activity within certain individuals due to the aspects which it instills.
No. Here is what army leadership and training actually looks like.

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/Repository/Materials/fm6-22.pdf

All of that bullshit you just said is what you picked up from a fucking movie.

Quote:
Then there is the isolation. To keep up public support for wars these days the US government pretty much invokes a media blackout. A few stories here and there, but for the most part the average America is shielded from what is happening. They don't see graphic images, they don't see coffins coming home. The average America is not asked to sacrifice anything and the whole ordeal with a few limited exceptions is deleted from the public view. That creates a whole new set of psychological issues for troops, knowing their service is being intentionally removed from society, like what they are doing is somehow wrong or that the average America might not agree with their mission if they actually knew what was happening on the ground.
No. If you can't find out what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan after a quick look through google, netflix, youtube, and BBC, you obviously do not understand that: You simply. Can. Not. Capture. War.
Quote:
Improper training combined with a complete lack of caring and such isolation leads to what we are seeing now and have been seeing for decades.
What's that, Sternn?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote