View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Solumina

Another somewhat related question: how would you feel about a product (like hand cream or medicinal salves) being labeled vegan if it was produced by a farm that has animals as an integral part of their farm?

I have a friend who has been making natural products for quite some time but she has always simply sold them on her farm so she never really thought much about labeling them but they are thinking about selling them online and through some local vendors and are thinking of how to brand their products. Labeling them as vegan would open the products up to more people but she wouldn't want to be making a false claim. They don't slaughter the animals, the only animal product that they sell is the wool from their sheep (rescues who they do not breed) and they have guinea hens for pest control (these would be the animals that are considered an integral part of the farms operations), they also have two spoiled pigs, and frequently has at least two for three rescued/fostered farm animals. All animals are occasionally used for educational purposes as she teaches animal stewardship through a community collage and she feels strongly that students need to experience things in and out of the classroom so she brings them to her farm a couple of times a semester.

(I'm not using you as my only source of vegan information but a lot of vegans that I know can be kind of unapproachable so it is nice to be able to get some info to consider before risking a lengthy lecture that oddly resembles both a sermon and a rant)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote