View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #65
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You should look up Nostalgia Chick, she makes a pretty good point about Belle. She doesn't put up with the Beast's shit at all, he's trying to win her over and changes for her, and only then does she soften up. The "I can change him!" thing was part of the midquel thing that was An Enchanted Christmas or whatever it was called.

We watched Sleeping Beauty recently, and bad feminist thing: Aurora doesn't have a line at all after she finds out she's a princess. Its a silencing, imprisoning thing. Good feminist thing: The princess and the prince are just plot devices, the movie is really about the three fairies and they are the heroes who do EVERYTHING, and the most developed characters.

I get to write a paper on feminism and Disney, I can't wait to get started on this.
I haven't watched any of her videos in a few years (does she still make new ones?), but I love the Nostalgia Chick. Labyrinth and Teen Witch are my favorites... possibly because I still actively enjoy both of those movies. I watch the Teen Witch rap scene I'm having a bad day and need to laugh.

Early Disney princesses never spoke after getting married, because that's where the story ends. Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel... they get married and the movie is essentially over, so pretty much nobody talks anymore (the exception being the occasional pan-out shot of characters discussing some joke... but the characters are never human). Even Tiana only has one line, technically still during her wedding. Disney doesn't depict married life in princess movies; it's too "adult".

I actually find the treatment of Princes in early Disney movies to be objectifying. The Charmings (Snow White, Cinderella) and even Philip (Sleeping Beauty) barely spoke or emoted, except to communicate their interest in marriage and willingness to "do anything" for the princesses. They were plot devices, rather than characters. Just there for the women to marry.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote