View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 AM   #27
Fenris

The most basic purpose of government is to provide protection to it's people. People give small amounts of loyalty and money and the government returns protection, both from internal and external threats. While there are certainly more intricacies, the most important thing is that the government protects it's people, therefore serving it's purpose. If terrorists want to come at me hand to hand, one on one, i'll take them on, but that's not going to happen. If i'm going to be killed by a terrorist it will be with an explosive or other sort of weapon I can't deal with. The American government can deal with such threats though, and if that means reducing or eliminating some rights, even constitutional rights, then it is not only justified to do so, but obligated to do so. There is no question that the patriot act and other such legislation starts to step on certain rights, and it may go too far. However, I'd prefer to have my government go too far than not far enough when my life and the lives of others are at stake. The patriot act and such legislation is just "martial law lite", it's an evil, but a necessary evil for our own protection. We still have rights here, and we're still considerably more free than any other nation, we just have to start making some small sacrifices like every one else to protect ourselves and our nation.
Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote