View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #32
Fenris

The inaliable rights which are supposed to be given to every American citizen are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Life is pretty much all or nothing, if you can reduce liberties slightly to protect life it's certainly a worthy trade-off. Franklin stated that essential liberties should not be given up to protect life. He was talking about oppression and grossly unfair taxation, not exposing personal items in airports, there is a major difference.

In times of war, some of our liberties are temporarily reduced to protect American lives. The so called "war on terror" is the closest thing we've had to a homeland war since we slaughtered the Native Americans and took over the west. It only makes sense that some (ususally minor) liberties be put on hold until the threat to those on our homeland is decreased.

As for the patriot act being a necessary evil, I still maintain that it, or something like it, is necessary to keep us from protecting terrorists with our own beaurocracy.

As for America being more free, i meant to say most other nations, that was my mistake. I know Sweden has social liberties that most Americans would bat their eyes in disbelief at. If I have my facts strait, the netherlands and south korea, as well as a handful of other counties have more laid-back laws as well. That statement was an oversight on my part, and I apologize.

And if I may ask a noobish question, how do I post quotes?
Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote