View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #34
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I've yet to meet anyone that wants to give their sovereignty to the UN. Funny, huh?
you remember kerry, don't you? ever heard of someone named clinton? hillary, to be specific. the name ted kennedy ring a bell? howard dean? it's all right if you don't recognize them - they're american politicians, not british. the point is - they be happy as bloated pigs in a vat of shit if the u.n. was the major sounding board from which their political decions could be filtered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
And Liberal media?, erm ... no. Just no. Seriously. No.
you're either naieve, a liberal, or someone who can't bear the thought of major news sources carrying a slant.

Quote:
No, you said hating your government is the same as hating your country, then you changed your mind, which is fair enough.
not specifically. what i said was - "heh. the government is part of the country. you attack the government, you attack the country by default". there it is - copy and pasted. the government is part of the country and the country is shaped to some degree by the government. the government, for the most part, is elected by the people and in that, the will of the people are reflected within the government. it's not a black-and-white issue of government vs. country. instead, on various levels, it's a cross-stitch of various facets.

that being said - i also made my feelings clear about foreigners and their opinions of how the country is run versus american citizens voicing their opinions, be they positive or negative. one carries little-to-no weight, in my opinion and one carries the weight of every word. see if you can figure out which is which.

not to worry, though - if a democrat makes her or his way into the white house in '08, your opinion may carry just as much weight as that of an american. not to me necessarily, but to the supposed enlightened left - and please don't view that as a personal attack. i'm speaking solely about foreigners' opinions when it comes to america and the frustration they express because my country doesn't conform to what they believe america should be.

Quote:
Erm, no, it's disrespect, I'm not giving your country advice or tell you how you should live, you just don't like the fact that I don't agree with you and since you can't go the "You hate America" route you're trying something else.
no, it's perspective. i could show you disrespect, if you'd like. i'd rather not for two reasons - 1.) alkilyu was happy the other day when he saw you signed in here and i respect him quite a bit, which leads me to # 2.) i really don't know you. just because we start off our hello's in a political thread, that means essentially nothing in the grand scheme of interaction. politica tends to inspire passion and i have no interest in descending to a level of disrespect over it.

you're right about not giving the country advice - these are just words on a message board - however, your words about america moving forward or backward mean nothing when they are spoken from the uk. that's my point. as for the "route" i'm "trying" to take - there's no route. there's only what i believe. that's what you'll read here when i get an urge to drop words.

oh, and good link you posted above. that'll be a help for some. where'd you find it?
edible_eye is offline   Reply With Quote