View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #36
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
you remember kerry, don't you? ever heard of someone named clinton? hillary, to be specific. the name ted kennedy ring a bell? howard dean? it's all right if you don't recognize them - they're american politicians, not british. the point is - they be happy as bloated pigs in a vat of shit if the u.n. was the major sounding board from which their political decions could be filtered.
Yes, I know who all those people are thank you, and not one of them has ever, ever stated that US sovreignty should be handed to the UN.

Quote:
you're either naieve, a liberal, or someone who can't bear the thought of major news sources carrying a slant.
Do I get to call you a fascist now?, grow up.

Quote:
that being said - i also made my feelings clear about foreigners and their opinions of how the country is run versus american citizens voicing their opinions, be they positive or negative. one carries little-to-no weight, in my opinion and one carries the weight of every word. see if you can figure out which is which.

not to worry, though - if a democrat makes her or his way into the white house in '08, your opinion may carry just as much weight as that of an american. not to me necessarily, but to the supposed enlightened left - and please don't view that as a personal attack. i'm speaking solely about foreigners' opinions when it comes to america and the frustration they express because my country doesn't conform to what they believe america should be.
None of which I've done, you think your opinion of America matters either?, all that matters is your vote. However, some of us enjoy the free exchange of ideas even when they disagree, although I'm having trouble understanding why you resolve to childish crap like saying a democrat in the white house means foreign opinion has any effect on American policy more than when the republicans are in office.

Maybe you should discuss the issues instead of being so left-obsessed.

Quote:
no, it's perspective. i could show you disrespect, if you'd like. i'd rather not for two reasons - 1.) alkilyu was happy the other day when he saw you signed in here and i respect him quite a bit, which leads me to # 2.) i really don't know you. just because we start off our hello's in a political thread, that means essentially nothing in the grand scheme of interaction. politica tends to inspire passion and i have no interest in descending to a level of disrespect over it.
I'm not sure, there's inspired passion on the one hand, and this sort of left-obssesed brow-beating that certainly won't work with me. If you want to be passionate about it, be passionate about Bush's strong points.

Quote:
you're right about not giving the country advice - these are just words on a message board - however, your words about america moving forward or backward mean nothing when they are spoken from the uk. that's my point. as for the "route" i'm "trying" to take - there's no route. there's only what i believe. that's what you'll read here when i get an urge to drop words.
Okay, then pretend I'm speaking them from the US if it'll help. My words mean what they mean regardless of location, they don't have an effect on your country, but I don't care about that, I enjoy civil discourse on the subject of US politics, which I'm absolutely facinated by.

Quote:
oh, and good link you posted above. that'll be a help for some. where'd you find it?
Well, if you look at the bottom of the page when you're posting something there's a box entitled "Posting Rules", some of the options are hyperlinks to FAQ pages explaining what the various rules are, if you follow the one hyperlinked for vB code it'll explain all the various tags you can use.

I do implore you to drop the outside the US and the browbeating stuff though, I can't really have a discussion with you otherwise, merely do the same in return, and I think that would be a shame.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote