View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #33
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
No, I just think you and the article is being incredibly simplistic and relying on the assumption that one small denomination speaks for global Protestantism. I also protest "Protestants have a individualist mindset", given that at the very beginning, there were some Protestants who were individualistic, and some who oppressed those Protestants in the name of the nobility, such as in the Peasants' War, and was used to justify feudalism and nationalism and the slaughter of thousands of peasants who dared to use Protestantism as a tool for individualistic political empowerment instead of nationalistic patriotic obedience. Luther was pretty notorious for throwing peasants under the bus to protect the nobility he relied on. Protestants weren't any kinder than the Catholic overlords nor any different at first, and they were far more successful than the individualistic denominations. Its not just Sternn's superiority complex, the Reformation was an incredibly turbulent event that caused a lot of unintended effects and that shit alone is complicated and Weber had and has criticisms even when he was accommodating of how many different factors went into the rise of capitalism. Reducing an entire group of people's opinion because they belong to a group that is defined by what they aren't (Catholic) more than any unity, and were fractured when the movement started hundreds of years ago and only drifted further apart since, defining their mindset on a tiny denomination's opinion on economic state intervention is laughable at best.
You know, I give you a lot of shit Saya, but this is a really good post. My HILARIOUS antics aside, seriously, Kudos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote