View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Saya

See Solumina, this is why we can't have nice things.

I hope honeythorn that you realize that faminies tend to happen because we imposed monoculture farming on colonized populations. Faminine is often our own damn fault, and its often not that there is a total lack of food to feed everyone, but also our imposed capitalism means that no one can buy food and the cost of food inflated. Furthermore livestock were also wiped out in the most recent faminine in Africa, since, I'm not sure if you were aware this, animals typically do have biological needs like drinking water. As a result, meat is a luxury that we can usually only afford because of government subsidaries, in developing countries only the rich can afford meat, and it used to be tradition in the west for women to save all the meat for her husband and children, since there usually was not enough for everyone to get much.

And we actually do grow enough food to sustain the Earth's population, and like I said, a ton of food (90% of the world's soy and 50% of America's corn, plus the rainforest is being chopped down to grow feed for Europe's livestock) doesn't get fed to humans at all. In fact, lots of farmers will destroy food to keep the prices stable. In a lot of places, lack of food is never an issue. However, never in the goodness of our hearts do we share it. If you don't have money, you don't eat.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote