View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Saya

Generally, I don't worry about it. With bees, I know honey beekeepers had bad years here but I haven't heard much about Canadian wild bees dying out. As far as I know most farmers just encourage wild pollinators, and honey bees aren't native here so you only see them in the honey industry. I think people with greenhouses use commercial bumblebees but as far as I know its not a big thing on farms.

Its also a reality that one will have no idea what kind of fertilizer was used, if the tractors had leather seats, etc. Its not a vegan world and while certainly there are vegan farms, its not something widespread enough for people to support. But people got to eat something.

Besides, considering how things like clothes, electronics, food, furniture, etc all probably involved abuse of human labour and perhaps even kills people, the possibility that the guy who harvested the fair trade coffee I bought might have used a donkey to transport it doesn't bother me as much, or rather I can only be depressed about so many other things in the world and I have to prioritize a little. We are up to our eyes in human and animal oppression as it is.

Yes, I'm an absolute killjoy in real life too sometimes.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote