View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #92
Stormbringer

An issue that splits opinions SoftShocks. Here in Australia it is illegal to own most types of firearms - we've had massacres too and after the last big one our then government banned most hand guns and all semi-automatics. They held a 'buy back' where they bought illegal guns (at prices way below their value) from the public with no question asked. My brother owned two semi-automatics and a shot gun and had to give them all up.

However there were exceptions such as farmers and people who needed guns to do their job such as security people. The public can still own hand guns providing that they are licensed and they can only be fired in licensed shooting ranges.

I agree with you that the media does not portray gun owners in a positive light neither here nor in the US.

I collect samurai swords, bayonettes and vintage pocket knives - all of which can be used to kill, and let me just say I won't be too happy if one day, they are banned too. But, being a responsible citizen, I guess I'll have to accept it.

Here in Australia, getting rid of guns has not reduced the level of armed robbery, criminals and drug dealers still seem to be able to get all the guns they want so I'm not sure what the banning of guns has really achieved. On the other hand we haven't had any public shootings lately either.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote