Thread: Ville Valo BABY
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gore-ger-us man, but not the best singer in my humble opinion. I must say I second Drac's statment. While I am a smoker as well, his influence on smoking (making it releavant and encouragment toward talent) is simply laughable.

In fact, almost rather pitiful. Ville is a good singer, but his influences are hardly believable toward his style of music in HIM. For instance, they said Ozzy Osbourne and his band are HIM's biggest influences. *Sigh* And "Love Metill" (I won't even get into the silliness of the term generally and it's mispelled on purpose) sounds nothing like any of the mans' work.

And isn't Metal supposed to be "Heavy"? The songs turn out to be nothing but lovey-dovey "Satanic" novelty music. It's like Immortal, if the band is a joke (which I originally thought they were) then they're brillant. But it's all for markets.

And honeythorn is completely correct; tastes are an utterly different thing. Someone can be involved in our scene and be very immersed toward the music; but there's a problem when someone calls HIM gothic rock. And making wrist-slitting and self-mutilation seem "cool" and "romantic"-a purpose bad influence toward anyone trying to understand our culture. I idealistically like the imagery; but the lyrics are uninspired and lack total elaboracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM
Let me tell you 6 hundred 6-6 ways I looooovee you...
Is among one the biggest failures in music to date. I listened to a good number of their music, from 666 Prologue to Dark Light; whether it be samples or myspace-relying abilities. Only discovering it's only getting poppier as the years and records pass and sell. I still fail to see how the lyrics are 'deep'. Enjoyable, maybe, but not to be taken as a serious band.

Reminder: It's only my opinion. And, if someone is looking for goth rock with actual gnostic influences, then pop Rozz era-Christian Death in the playlist or player, kids. Because with HIM you'll find, unless you really feel for this band, as Drac says, uninspired-novelty horror music.

This hath been a Blackthorne(TM) attempt at being diplomatic.

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever