View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Aeon

Lovecraft was the man. Of course, any writer or artist is open to interpretation, and you guys have the right to your opinions, but let's face it - Lovecraft was a quirky, strange and fascinating dude and author.

Perhaps because Lovecraft vehemently disliked New York (see the Horror at Red Hook), it is fair of you to dislike him as well. Ironically, I'm a New England boy who found Lovecraft by accident one day long after I had relocated to Maryland - and I hold his stuff fairly dear to heart. He writes about nebulous things in his best work, of dreams, nostalgia, and the strange things in or behind familiar things. This is -weird fiction- at its best.

Also, the comments about his racism and other flaws are rather off-sighted. While yes, they are distasteful, also remember that he was really no different from most people in his day. You are looking at a man from the turn of the century with 21st century logic. He was also a home-body, an Anglophile and his love of simple and out-dated New England ways defines him. You do not have to agree with him, but it certainly gives a lens to the world, and a strange, fascinating lens at that.

I also agree that Michael Moorcock is a silly dude who likes to hear himself talk. I love Lovecraft for what he is, and it has nothing to do with Cthulhu trends or writing critiques.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote