Thread: Gothic Country
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
I've been getting pretty into "gothic country" music, or doom country, or depressive country, or melancholic folk, or whatever you choose to call it. So far I've been listening to The Handsome Family (thanks, True Detective), Sons of Perdition and some others. What I've been finding is that a lot of this shit is too damn silly for me, and I'm looking for more serious sounding artists. Who else has been into this stuff? Got recommendations?

Here's a sweet song by The Pine Box Boys, because banjos and throat singing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1RDwUYZlw
I definitely like the sound of this, don't know how I got so into that show just by the theme song. Of course it's gonna be a corny with the way people think 'goth' is supposed to look/sound/embarrass/blahblah at this point. There's more hope in just listening to the classics all these artists steal from but at their lesser known eras [pretty sure Cash's Unchained or Nick Cave's First Born is Dead would be considerable anthems].
Lee Hazlewood, the album 'Poet, Fool, Or Bum' is one of the most depressing records imaginable. Given terrible reviews but nonetheless brilliant.
That Nick Cave/Lee Hazlewood vocal sound is fucking angelic. Aside from that there's always whiny shit like the Meat Puppets or the Violent Femmes that are gloomy by association.
I wants to make me some Cunt Gawf myself, but do it right.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote