Thread: Edgar Allan Poe
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 07:57 AM   #17
emeraldlonewoulf

I absolutely adore his short stories as well. The Masque of the Red Death and The Tell-Tale Heart are a couple favorites, but The House of Usher and The Pit and the Pendulum are too...... I don't suppose i can actually choose. I loved his stories long before I knew Goth existed, and went through a stage at about twelve where I visually devoured everything of his i could get my hands on. I still love his work.

I think a lot of the reason I enjoy it so much is because of his ability to build suspense, and his full embrace of the horror of a particular scene. He had the ability to sink himself into the deep recesses of the human mind, where things do not have to make sense and yet still fit together. He had the ability to put his mind and soul in a place where the insane murderer is justified, where the tortured victim not only considers, but mourns and cries out, and strives to escape their fate, and the the love lorn have no surcease from their sorrow or grief. He was able to make these things vibrantly real for his readers. I think the reason his writing gets to people is because it exposes, at least on some emotional level, some possibility of ourselves living with/through such things. Or maybe I just read too much.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote