View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #123
Saya

Reeeaaaaally good piece from Comics Alliance on the problematic depiction of women in comics, and how it is worse in some cases in the new reboot:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...-superheroine/

I'm really disappointed Voodoo came out that way. I knew it was always kind of going to be lots of boobs, but I didn't think the first thing you'd see if her is her on her knees, half naked with people throwing money at her. Article says she's the first black woman to get her own comic, and if that's accurate, that's really, really, really sad. Also I couldn't ever really like Starfire because I always felt she was nothing but eye candy, but it seems now she's even worse.

And Catwoman is dead to me.

I'm so glad Batwoman didn't end up that way, at least so far, with her sexuality being her own. She's gone through a few lovers already, and she's gorgeous, but in such a way that almost seems like she's being catered to queer women rather than men. In contrast with Voodoo, who is also bisexual, its like one is very high minded and awesomely progressive, and another one just seems to be typical hyersexualized "black women are sluts", "bisexuals are sluts" dribble.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote