View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #86
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
But what if it’s what the people want?
this, to me, is the only important point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone
Think of the government as the parental unit, and the people as the kids dependent upon the parents to make (some) choices for them, for their own benefit. The kid may want candy 24/7. The kid may want to play video games until his or her body wastes in entropy, veins clog up from inactivity, until one breaks free—shots up to the brain, and kills the kid stone cold right in the middle of freeing the +5 Bastard Sword from the icy cold waters of El’Cheeto, located at the base of Mt. Deweth.

It’s up to the parental unit to provide some measure of guidance to ensure that kind of shit doesn’t happen.
i know you're formulating an analogy, but i can't wrap my hands around this concept here and wave it like a flag. too many citizens view the government exactly as you put it right there and it makes them lazy, lazy, lazy, good-for-nothing leeches. and that situation is only getting worse.

"i don't have to do anything cuz mommy and daddy gonna take care of me just fine. i got MY MONEY (a phrase i loathe) coming at the beginning of the month."

and they DO sit in front of the television until their legs and bellies swell, eating buckets of food and candy and ice cream while they do nothing except fill their mu-mu's to the point of splitting their stitches. some have kids they lock in closets or leave at home while they're out scoring drugs or hanging out at the liquor store. it's a whole sect of society living on the dole, despite their ability to work and they're raising their children to follow suit. they very literally view the government as a parent who will take care of them and they view you and i as saps and idiots for getting up every morning and heading off to work.

that growing sect is one component that has led to a government so full of itself they no longer see the citizens of this country as a threat to their job - except at the time of election. and they have the working class by the balls, make no mistake about it - raising taxes whenever they see fit to add on a program here or there or to welcome in a substantial number of new recruits who are ready to park their worthless asses on couches they did nothing to earn.

i'd like to see a government that takes care of the basics in this country - leaving those who are able to fend for themselves alone to do so. legitimate needs aside, and i'm sure we can all come to terms on what constitutes legitimate need - the government should not be spoken of as a parent.